Westchase Elementary: International Walk to School Day | News
Tampa, Florida -- Westchase Elementary is taking it to the sidewalk...
The kiddos laced up their tennis shoes to walk and bike to school this morning with kids from around the world as part of International Walk to School Day.
The event was led by Westchase Elementary, St. Joseph's Children's Hospital and FedEx.
Students were encouraged to walk or bike to school while practicing safe pedestrian behaviors.
And, that's where the "Walk and Roll to School Parade" steps in. Parents walked alongside their kids to help them identify hazards and understand traffic laws.
Their understanding is important.
Nearly 250 kids are killed every year and 13,000 more are injured in pedestrian related accidents, according to Safe Kids Worldwide.
Florida is ranked as the deadliest state for pedestrians, with Tampa Bay ranking second in the state.
This morning, St. Joseph's Children's Hospital fitted kids without helmets with new helmets and passed out reflective stickers.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood
- Hunter claims panther attacked him