Double fatal crash closes State Road 674 | News
Wimauma, Florida -- Highway 674 at Balm Wimauma Road was shut down for hours Monday in both directions while deputies investigated an accident involving a motorcycle and a truck.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Michael Ernest Newman, 60, and Karen Elizabeth Neal, 59, were killed when their motorcycle collided with a truck.
Around 11:32 a.m., the pair were heading west on SR-674 in front of a Ford F150, driven by 18-year-old Stephen Highsmith, of Wimauma, when they slowed down to make a right turn into a driveway west of Balm Wimauma Road.
According to the report, Highsmith failed to slow down in time and hit the motorcycle from behind, ejecting the Ruskin pair from the bike.
Neither were wearing their helmets at the time of the crash.
SR-674 was shut down until 4:15 p.m. while police investigated the crash.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood
- Hunter claims panther attacked him
- Fort Hood shooting victim's body to return to Florida