Suspect named in Family Dollar murder | News
Tampa, FL -- Police have named 23-year-old Demetrius Parks a suspect in the murder of Horsley Shorter, the manager at a Family Dollar store.
An arrest warrant was issued Wednesday afternoon for Parks.
Police say Parks fatally shot Shorter as he tried to rob the Family Dollar store at 4900 N. 40th St on Sunday morning.
Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor, while announcing the arrest warrant, said that Parks should be considered armed and dangerous. Castor added Parks has an extensive criminal history which includes 37 previous felony charges and 25 misdemeanors.
Parks had just been released from the Florida Prison System last year after serving three years on weapons charges. Since his release, police say he's been arrested in Tampa four times.
Castor said so far Parks family has not been cooperating with officials.
"All indications are he's still in the area but he knows we are after him," Castor said.
A $16,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Parks.
Anyone with information is urged to call Tampa Police at (813) 309-0467.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood