Emergency electric bill payment help offered in Hillsborough | News
Hillsborough County, Florida-- Are you struggling to make ends meet? If so, you may qualify for financial assistance from the Family and Aging Services Department's Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program for Hillsborough County Residents, also known as LIHEAP.
Program coordinators say LIHEAP is a federally funded initiative that helps low-income residents with payments on their delinquent electric bills.
Do you qualify? If you meet the following criteria, you may be eligible :
- Have a total household gross income below 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (guidelines available on the County’s Social Services webpage.)
- Reside in Hillsborough County
- Are a U.S. Citizen, qualified alien or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Have a recent past due or final notice energy bill
Note: Additional requirements may be necessary to determine if you're eligibile. LIHEAP reps say they will inform any applicants of any other requirements at the time of application.
What will you need to apply? Bring the following with you to complete your application:
- Proof of income for all household members for the last 30 days. This proof can be a pay check stub, employer letter, public assistance check, Supplementary Security Income check, unemployment check, or a pension check stub.
- Proof of home energy obligation or electric bill
- Picture identification
- Proof of Hillsborough County residency, such as: valid driver’s license with current address, a letter from your landlord or mortgage company, voter’s registration card, etc.
Residents can apply at any of the following local Neighborhood Service Centers, but an appointment must be made in advance by calling the center nearest you:
- Lee Davis Neighborhood Service Center, 3402 N. 22nd St. in Tampa, 813-272-5220
- Plant City Neighborhood Service Center, 307 N. Michigan Ave. in Plant City, 813 757-3871
- South Shore Community Resource Center, 201 14th Ave. S.E. in Ruskin, 813-671-7647
- University Community Resource Center, 13605 N. 22nd St. in Tampa, 813-975-2153
- West Tampa Neighborhood Service Center, 2103 N. Rome Ave. in Tampa, 813-272-5074
For more information, contact one of the above neighborhood service centers or 813-272-6770.