3rd wildfire in 4 days in Hillsborough County | News
Lithia, Florida -- For the third time in four days, firefighters were kept busy battling a wildfire in Hillsborough County. Monday's fire consumed more than 10 acres in Lithia while officials worry 2013 could be a very dangerous wildfire season.
PHOTOS: 10-acre brush fire in Lithia
On Saturday, a wildfire in Ruskin consumed more than 30 acres and smoke from the fire caused I-75 to be shut down for a time.
On Friday, officials battled a wildfire in the Fishhawk Ranch area that they say was started by kids playing with fireworks.
PHOTOS: Lithia fire threatened homes
So far this year, the State Wildfire Service reports more than 1,000 fires have destroyed more than 20,000 acres across the Sunshine State.
Ronnie Rivera, with Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, says the state's dry and windy conditions are not helping.
The National Weather Service notes since the beginning of the year the Tampa area has received only 3.62 inches of rain. In a normal year during that same period of time, the area gets more than 8 inches of rain.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood