Tampa embarks on master plan for west Tampa | News
Tamp, Florida-- A bold new initiative is underway to redevelop west Tampa and roughly 140 acres of city owned property on the Hillsborough River.
The Tampa Housing Authority has chosen a St. Louis-based developer to help plan the demolition and redevelopment of the North Boulevard Homes and Mary Bethune public housing complexes.
St. Louis-based McCormack Baron specializes in developing mixed-income urban neighborhoods.
Mayor Bob Buckhorn has been leading the charge in the genesis of Tampa's new master plan, which includes neighborhoods directly connected to the downtown core. Those include: Tampa Heights, Seminole Heights, Ybor City, V.M. Ybor and West Tampa.
The west Tampa revelopment plan isn't expected to be completed until at least the next decade, but will drastically change the complexion of the area north of Interstate 275, south of Columbus Drive and west from the river to Rome Avenue, including the riverfront property west of Hillsborough River.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood