Sex offender stops cop to say he killed a man near USF | News
Tampa, Florida - A Tampa police officer was sitting at a red light at N. 15th Street and E. Fowler Avenue on Saturday night when a man walked up to him and confessed to a murder, according to TPD.
"He said I just killed somebody. He's in my apartment," says TPD spokesperson Lt. Robert McMullen.
49-year-old Rivas led officers to his unit at the University Oakwoods Apartments where he lives. Inside, officers say they found a man's body.
"At this time, we believe he is homeless and he's probably a veteran," Lt. McMullen says.
Homicide detectives have not yet released the victim's name, but say he suffered upper body trauma.
As for Rivas, he is a registered sex offender who once served time in prison for indecent assault of a child under the age of 16. His record has stayed mostly quiet for the last few years in Hillsborough County. He is now being charged with First Degree Murder in addition to Grand Theft, since police say he also stole money from the victim.
Some neighbors at the University Oakwoods Apartments report having seen Rivas doing inappropriate things in public.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood
- Hunter claims panther attacked him