Busch Gardens welcomes new baby rhino! | News
Tampa, FL-- Busch Gardens Tampa Bay welcomed a baby white rhinoceros this past Tuesday!
Busch Gardens representatives tell us the female rhino was born on the 26-acre white rhino habitat on Busch Gardens’ Serengeti Plain. She weighed 140 pounds at the time of her birth, but is estimated to weigh between 3,500 and 4,000 pounds as an adult!
The baby is the second calf born to the mother, Kisiri, and the seventh calf born to father, Tambo.
Along with the wonderful news, Busch Gardens reps provided a bit of background information on the mother and father:
Kisiri, Tambo and another female white rhino were airlifted from Kruger National Park in South Africa in 2001 through the efforts of the International Rhino Foundation (IRF), a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of rhinos. Fewer than 15,000 white rhinos remain in the wild, and approximately 200 live in zoological facilities across North America.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood