St. John's claims Big East with 7-3 win over USF | News
CLEARWATER, Fla. - Tournament Most Outstanding Player Matt Carasiti earned his second win in five days and second baseman Bret Dennis drove in three runs as St. John's won its record seventh BIG EAST Baseball Championship with a 7-3 victory against USF Sunday afternoon at Bright House Field.
USF built a 3-1 lead in the top of the third inning, but St. John's got a run back in the bottom of the fourth inning on Zach Lauricella's solo home run before the Red Storm took the lead in the sixth.
USF, which was playing in the championship final for the first time, had just four hits against Red Storm pitching. Starting pitcher Andrew Barbosa allowed four runs in 5.1 innings, falling to 7-7 with the loss.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood
- Hunter claims panther attacked him