Hillsborough County libraries receive Betty Davis Miller Youth Services Award | News
Hillsborough County, Florida-- According to a recent release, The Florida Library Association (FLA) presented the Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library System with the 2012 Betty Davis Miller Youth Services Award.
The award, presented during the FLA's annual conference in Orlando, recognized the libraries’ outstanding children’s programs, with emphasis on those designed for homeschooling families.
According to the release, the recognition email said that members of the FLA, "were impressed with the Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Libraries’ homeschool programs, and commended the library system for its great ideas to encourage other libraries to meet the growing needs of homeschool families."
The Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Libraries have offered the following programs to assist homeschooling families:
- Science programs for children ages 5 - 7 and 8 - 11 covering the topics of observation, hypothesis and theory, moon and stars, gravity, properties of matter, plate tectonics, magnets, electrical circuits, robotics, and tornadoes.
- Consumer science programs for children ages 12 and up covering the topics of money and budgeting, banking and loans, career planning, leadership, and nutrition and wellness.
These programs took place at the Bloomingdale Regional Public Library, Riverview Branch Library, Seffner-Mango Branch Library, SouthShore Regional Library and Thonotosassa Branch Library. They are currently being held at the John F. Germany Public Library.
For more information about these free programs, and others offered by your library, call 813-273-3652.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood