Tampa Airport's snazzy new look starts in restrooms | News
Monday afternoon, airport CEO Joe Lopano will take a sledgehammer to a sink in one of TIA's restrooms, smashing it to the ground and launching a $20 million renovation project.
Photos: TIA Upgrades
The overhaul will add:
- New digital signs
- A new look for the entrances to the monorails that take passengers to their gates
- Renovated restrooms with a new, sleeker appearance
- A military greeting area managed by the USO
- New tourism information centers
The major renovation effort will be split into two waves of work. The first begins Monday and is set to wrap up by August 10th -- more than two weeks before the 2012 Republican National Convention in Tampa.
Airport managers wisely didn't want barricades and construction gear scattered throughout the airport as convention visitors arrived.
After the convention, the work will resume, with upgrades to flooring, lighting, and seating.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood
- Hunter claims panther attacked him