Library History Roadshow makes its way around Hillsborough | Events
Tampa, Florida-- Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Libraries will begin celebrating their 100th anniversaries next year, so Library Services is currently working to prepare a celebration worthy of a whole century of service!
The libraries have joined forces with the Tampa Bay History Center, the Friends of the Library of Tampa-Hillsborough County, and other community partners to present what they are calling the Library History Roadshow. Program coordinators say the Roadshow will make stops at county library branches through the end of the year to gather and document the communities’ library memories, photographs and memorabilia- to later honor them on their monumental milestones next year!
The Roadshow will feature four libraries that closed many years ago, as well as the following:
- The main library
- 24 branch libraries
- The Bookmobile
- The Spanish‐language Cybermobile
- The Talking Book Library
- And two city-operated libraries
It's next stop is the Thonotosassa Branch Library, 10715 Main St. in Thonotosassa. On Saturday, June 22 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., library patrons are encouraged to bring their Thonotosassa Branch Library memories, photographs and memorabilia to share. Don't worry- you can keep your memories! Staff and volunteers will only digitally scan the sentiments you bring. You'll also have the opportunity to record your stories on a video or an audio track!
The Library History Roadshow has already made stops to collect memories and historic treasures from:
- The West Tampa Branch Library (April 16 and June 4, 2011)\
- The Tampa Free Public Library, aka the Carnegie Library on 7th Avenue (Sept. 24, 2011)
- The Hyde Park Branch Library (Nov. 19, 2011)
- The Port Tampa City Library (Jan. 14, 2012)
- The Charles J. Fendig Public Library (March 25, 2012)
- The Temple Terrace Public Library (April 13, 2012)
- The Ruskin Branch Library (April 15, 2012)
- The Seminole Heights Branch Library (May 6, 2012)
- The Robert W. Saunders, Sr. Public Library (June 23, 2012)
- The Lutz Branch Library (July 28, 2012)
- The Brandon Regional Public Library (Sept. 15, 2012)
- The Town ‘N Country Regional Public Library (Dec. 1, 2012)
- The John F. Germany Public Library (Jan. 13, 2013)
- The Harlem Branch Library (Feb. 23, 2013)
- The Austin Davis Public Library (May 18, 2013)
Click here for more information on the Library History Roadshow!