Update: Teen inmate attempts to escape, name released | Crime
Tampa, Florida -- Hillsborough deputies say Robert Lewis Wimbush, tried to flee from officers during his court appearance Thursday.
Authorities say the 17-year-old inmate fled from the fourth floor of the Edgecomb Courthouse Annex, where he appeared before Judge Tracy Sheehan.
A Juvenile Justice officer was escorting Wimbush to a holding cell after the court hearing, when Wimbush allegedly bolted down a staircase and through several corridors before he was tasered and taken into custody.
Because of a ruling by the Florida Supreme Court, the juvenile was not in handcuffs at the time.
Wimbush was in court facing multiple charges, including three counts of Violation of Probation.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood
- Hunter claims panther attacked him