"Paint the Town" cleans up University Area Community, open-air market to come | Community Spirit
Tampa, FL-- The January "Paint the Town" event for the University Area Community kicked off a year round community transformation where volunteer organizations come together to continue previous projects and start new ones.
Over 1,000 volunteers took part in the clean up a vacant lot along 22nd Street that was strewn with litter and covered in overgrowth. The clean-up will allow for a new open-air Community Market to take place in the area.
Clean-up crews also spruced up a neighborhood wall along 143rd Avenue that was covered in overgrowth and had patches of mismatched paint where graffiti and gang tags had been painted over.
In all, volunteers removed branches and overgrowth, gardened, picked up trash and painted designated areas encompassing the 4-square mile University Area Community.
The event launched the University Area Community Development Corporation's 2013 "Make it Happen!" campaign focused on building public and private partnerships with a coalition of agencies, government officials, private citizens, businesses, law enforcement and area residents.
The event was coordinated by the University Area Community Development Corporation, Inc. and sponsored by PNC Bank.
Upcoming Events near Hillsborough County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartow middle school teacher fired for inappropriate texts, touching student
- While a teacher, who police say had sex with student appears in court, another family comes forward about the 29 year old.
- Fatal crash in Lake Wales closes portion of Hwy 60 E
- Sentencing scheduled for 1981 shooting rampage
- Funeral held for Bay area soldier killed at Fort Hood